Wednesday 23 November 2016

Learning Modern Calligraphy with Quill London!

Hello My Lovelies

I've always wanted to learn calligraphy but never been sure where or how so when I saw that Lily Pebbles and Anna (Anna's Edit) had taken a course in Brighton I signed up to the waiting list on Quill London and eventually found a space this past weekend. 



The course is aimed at total beginners and is a three hour course situated in MADE in Brighton. Our teacher for the day was the amazing and truly inspiring Julia Broughton who was extremely patient, encouraging and pretty darn funny. She took us through each of the tasks starting with simple thick and thin lines before moving on to practising capital letters and small letters and finishing the session with joining letters up and trying out our own techniques and styles on words we liked.  

I arrived thinking that I might be the only person on the course that hadn't come in a group but I was so happy to find that I wasn't and ended up at a table with a group of ladies from all across the U.K that had travelled to Brighton to try out Calligraphy. We discussed why we had wanted to come and try and it helped me relax and really focus on learning a new skill.


Included in the price was all of the materials you would need for the day; a pen, ink, paper etc and also a drink and piece of cake or in my case a red velvet cookie.
I chose to attend the afternoon course that started at 2:00pm and finished at 4:30pm-it was just about the right amount of time to learn the very basics of this amazing (I hope) new hobby. The only negative I would have to say about the whole day is where we were positioned in the café with their regular customers coming in and out as we tried to listen to Julia explain.

I had such a wonderful time trying something new (I'm not one for going out of my comfort zone!) and I'm glad that I did. I think with calligraphy it's definitely going to be about practise makes perfect so with the cold months stretching out ahead of us I know what I'll be up to this winter.

Whilst it was a quick trip to Brighton I did have enough time to have a stroll around the lanes and I even spotted a snow dog or two.



Till next time,
                  Tori.
                       X



No comments :

Post a Comment

I always read your messages and reply to everyone!
You can also tweet me steaders83